4th grade teaching opportunity for the current 2015-2016 School Year
The Mayatan Bilingual School in Copán Ruinas, Honduras is seeking a 4th grade teacher for the 2015-16 school year (January through June 2016). Ideal candidates are independent, self-guided, self-reliant individuals who are capable of making the best of limited resources and adapting to circumstances.
This is a full-time professional teaching position. You will work on our beautiful hillside campus above the town of Copán Ruinas, Honduras, and you will live in a furnished apartment in town.
Mayatan Bilingual School is a private, independent PK-12th grade school of 400 students that was founded by local mothers in 1991. Some 45+% of the school's students receive scholarships and a path out of poverty. Students of all economic and social backgrounds attend the school. Mayatan graduates receive a Honduran diploma (Bachillerato en Ciencias y Letras), a United States High School Diploma through the University of Missouri, and a Tourism Certificate.
We are seeking certified (or soon to be certified) teachers who are native speakers of English. International travel and work experience is a plus. Spanish language is an advantage but not essential, as you will be teaching exclusively in English.
Candidates who lack a teaching certificate, but who possess a Bachelor's degree and some teaching or tutoring experience, may also be considered.
Teachers are required to demonstrate the following professional behaviors:
- Share in Mayatan's Mission and Vision
- Participate in all school mandated activities and duties
- Plan for and carry out lessons according to the designated curriculum and student goals
- Provide frequent and prompt communication with students, parents, administrators and co-workers regarding student progress and concerns
- Hold students to high academic standards of performance and English language skills
- Demonstrate respect for local culture and customs
- Conduct themselves in a manner that reflects well upon themselves and the school
- Participate in and incorporate lessons learned from professional development opportunities
Teachers will receive a living stipend of 8,000 Lempiras ($375) a month, transportation to and from work, health insurance, and furnished apartment housing in town. This is adequate to live on in Honduras.
To apply, you must:
- Thoroughly review the Teaching at Mayatanand Living in Copan Ruinas sections of the school website. Teaching at Mayatan is a challenge and is not desirable for all prospective candidates; therefore, we require that you carefully consider the information found in the above-mentioned pages BEFORE applying for a teaching position.
- Send a letter of interest to our Academic Director, Stephanie Degonda, firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach a résumé and contact information for 2-3 professional, academic, or personal references. If you have letters of reference available, you may also attach these.
- Once we review your application materials, Mayatan may contact you for a phone interview. If we choose to offer you a position, we will send you a contract. Your position will be filled once you have signed and returned a contract to us.