Español / English
Mayatan Bilingual School is a safe, nurturing educational environment. The small PK-12th grade school is an ideal place for Hondurans and foreigners living in Honduras to enroll their children. Mayatan students are educated mostly in English, which they begin to learn as early as Pre-K.
Our benefits include:
- Native English-speaking teachers for core subjects. Many are certified to teach in the U.S.A., and all have a minimum of a bachelor's degree from a university.
- Honduran teachers for national and Spanish-language subjects. All are certified to teach in Honduras.
- A special education specialist and individualized plans for students with special needs.
- A safe, attractive, tree-filled private campus on a hill outside of town. Copán Ruinas, being a small town and a tourist destination, is also the ideal Honduran environment for children, offering security and mobility that large cities often can't deliver.
- Over 20 years of experience in serving Copán Ruinas and surrounding towns.
- Personal attention from teachers, a family-like environment, and small classes, ranging from 6 to 20 students.
- Top educational standards, including high school diplomas from the University of Missouri High School (USA) and Honduran bachilleratos.
- Membership in the Association of Bilingual Schools of Honduras (ABSH).
- Resources including a library, a computer lab, campus-wide wifi internet access, laptop computer checkout for all students, musical instruments, sports fields, and activities or courses in home economics, shop, art, and theater.
Download: 2012-13 Academic Calendar (English)
Mayatan follows a North American academic year. School begins in late August and ends in early June, with most of June, all of July, and most of August off for vacation. In addition, there is a Christmas break of 2.5 weeks and the school is closed for certain national holidays.
The school day begins at 7:00 a.m. sharp. It ends at 12:00 p.m. for PK and kindergarten, 1:45 for primary, and 2:30 for secondary and high school.
There is an active parents organization that meets throughout the year, organizes special events, raises money for projects, and participates in the academic and social life of the school.
Download: Enrollment form (PDF)
To enroll your child in Mayatan or if you have questions about enrollment, please contact Marisol Welchez at +(504) 2651-4149 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students entering Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten will be enrolled according to their age. Students must by 4 by September 1st to be enrolled at this level.
Students wishing to enter primary (grades 1-6), secondary (7-9), or high school (10-12) will be evaluated to determine their English language abilities and placed appropriately.
Download: Tuition and Fees 2011-12 (PDF)
Download the above sheet for details. Tuition and fees vary depending on the student's grade level. In addition, costs such as uniforms, transportation, and meals depend upon the child's individual needs and habits. Those costs are estimated.
The Mayatan Foundation provides scholarships to 45% of the school's students. Scholarships depend upon the family's finances and the student's academic performance. Contact the school to apply for a scholarship.