Mayatan Foundation and Bilingual School Established 1991

Our Students

PK Girls

Our Students

Mayatan Bilingual School students are Hondurans who live in and around the town of Copán Ruinas, ranging in age from 4 to 18 years old.

Our advanced scholarship program allows us to host students from a diverse range of backgrounds and social classes. For many of them, a bilingual education represents a path out of poverty and a step up in the world. Mayatan also attracts students from more wealthy families who can afford to pay full tuition, and middle-class students whose families often make sacrifices to afford full- or half-tuition.

Dedicated to Learning

1st GradersBilingual education is truly a life-transforming opportunity, and families in and around Copán recognize its importance. Many Mayatan students and families go to great lengths every day to receive this gift, from elementary school students living in remote villages who must wake up at dawn to hike to the bus stop, to parents who make economic sacrifices to send multiple children to the school.

Many of our students are the first in their families to learn English. This pattern continues when Mayatan students become the first in their families to graduate from high school, attend college, or secure high-paying work that requires English skills. In such cases, Mayatan students can use their education to help entire extended families.

45% of students at Mayatan Bilingual School receive financial assistance. The remaining 55% pay full tuition at the school. A broad scholarship breakdown is as follows:

  • About half of all scholarships are half-tuition scholarships, typically given to working-class families in town.
  • About one-quarter of all scholarships are full-tuition scholarships, for families who cannot afford to pay any tuition.
  • The remaining quarter are "full-tuition plus", meaning that the student's tuition and some or all of the related academic expenses (books, uniforms, transportation) are covered by the scholarship. These expenses are paid for by sponsors and donations to the Mayatan Foundation.
  • The school provides full- and half-tuition discounts to the children of teachers at the school. Parents who pay their registration and tuition on time also receive 10% discount.

Samuel StudyingOur hope at Mayatan Bilingual School is to continue to educate as many children from diverse economic backgrounds as possible, and we rely on the support of our community, including our donors abroad, to help us achieve this.

To find out more about how you can help bring to bilingual education to students from rural Honduras, visit the Become a Sponsor or Students Seeking Sponsors pages.


News Archives

MBS Facebook Fans

Find Mayatan On

linked in amazon wishlist twitter facebook pages